About Grimston Park Estate

Grimston Park is a picturesque estate one mile south of Tadcaster, mid-way between York and Leeds. Tadcaster, the Roman Calcaria, was a staging post on the road from London to York and is now a centre of the brewing industry.

Slide 3
Slide 2
2015-06-27 09.44.50

The Estate

There has been a settlement at Grimston since Viking times and during the Middle Ages it was a valuable manor. Although no records exist of the main house, it must have been of some signicance as James I stayed there in 1603 as the guest of the owner Sir Edward Stanhope on his way to London to claim his throne.

Nearby lies the site of the battle of Towton, fought on Palm Sunday 1461 and the bloodiest battle fought on English soil. Over 20,000 died and it was a pivotal event in the Wars of the Roses, being a victory for the Yorkists.

Lord Howden

In 1812 the house and the Estate was bought by the first Lord Howden and it was his son who was responsible for the present house in 1839. He asked the architect Decimus Burton to create an Italianate palace for his Russian wife, the Princess Bagration, complete with large pleasure grounds, formal statuary and a very large Riding School. However, after eleven years the Howdens divorced and the Estate was sold to the first Lord Londesborough in 1851.

The Fielden Family

The Fielden family bought the Estate from him in 1872 and they are still the present owners. The Mansion house was sold in the early 1980’s and is now converted into eleven independent residences.

The Fielden family aims to preserve and enhance the buildings and the landscape for future generations and is engaged on a long term programme of restoration and diversification. As well as mixed arable and grazing parkland the Estate has over 250 acres of woodland, used for forestry and sporting purposes and fishing on the river Wharfe, which borders the Estate.

There is also a thriving Residential and Commercial Property portfolio with houses and cottages available to let together with rural office space which has been converted from beautiful limestone farm buildings.

Location