Grimston Park Estate History
A SETTLEMENT HAS EXISTED AT GRIMSTON SINCE VIKING TIMES
In 1812 the estate was bought from the Townend family by Sir John Francis Cradock, the first Lord Howden, who had been ADC to the Duke of Wellington. He died in 1839 and his son the second Lord Howden then commissioned the architect Decimus Burton to rebuild the John Carr-designed house at Grimston Park for himself and his bride, Princess Catherine Bagration, widow of Prince Bagration and the grand-niece of Prince Potemkin. She was known for her beauty and outrageous behaviour.
Burton’s brief was to recreate the old house in an Italianate style and he did this imaginatively with an Ionic porte cochere on one side and colonnades and a verandah on the other. He designed a conservatory (similar to those he provided for Kew Gardens, though somewhat smaller) and an Observatory Tower in the park. In the stable yard he erected a vast Riding School so that the Princess could ride around under cover.
In 1980 the estate sold the Mansion after several years of occupation by a variety of tenants and it has since been converted into 13 separate residences.